Friday, September 10, 2010

4. Rule of law

I thought it was interesting that if I have a series of work I can save myself the trouble and money of copyrighting each one, and just copyright them all under one title. Although if someone wants to use and pay for my art work they can ask me to license one, two, or all of the series to them for their use only. If I find out that they are making money on my design, that is infringement and they have broken the law. As the artist there are exclusive copyright rights that I have access to such as “the entire bundle of rights that a copyright owner is exclusively entitled to exercise under the copyright laws. These rights consist of: the right to reproduce the work, the right to prepare derivative works, the right to distribute copies of the work, the right to perform the work, and the right to display the work.” (P, C, &T pg. 242)
If someone wants to use my design they much have an exclusive license, “which must be in writing, is a valid contract in which a copyright owner authorizes another person or entity to exclusively exercise one of more of the rights that belong to the copyright owner.” (P, C, &T pg. 242) This makes me happy knowing that I can protect everything that I do and control who wants my design and who I say is okay to use my design.

No comments:

Post a Comment